Out Numbered 3 to 1

I thought a daughter would be an ally, instead I am now outnumbeed 3 to 1.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Anniversary Party

I have tried to catch you up on pictures a little, I have much more to do, but I wanted to share the experience of Buck's parent's anniversary party with everyone. People think I am horrible for having minimal contact with his family. Here is an example why (a very mild example, there are many worse).

We had an anniversary party for Bucks parents. His sister coordinated it, his brother came down from Wisc and brought his youngest Jamie. We had a great time until the party. We got to the party and my BIL (married to Buck's sister)started to ask me about Izzy and how she has been. I thought this is nice of him, until he said well I am glad she is doing good and I hope that the flashes won't cause her to have a seizure like it has done before because there will be a lot of flashes and you will have to live with it. I explained that my cheap camera was taking great pics without a flash so we could just ask everyone to turn off the flashes, and if they don't know how I will help them. He said no it wasn't happening.

So then Gail my SIL's best friend came in with a very nice camera and sat at our table. I explained to her the problem with Izzy having seizures due to flashes, and that she almost died last year when she not only choked on food during the seizure but it would not end and we had to give the emergency Diastat. She said I am sorry to hear that but I have to leave the flash on because Cheryl wants good pictures and I would need to deal with it.

At this point I phoned Buck who was outside directing traffic. he was not happy and headed up to the fellowship hall. In the mean time it was agreed that it would e okay for me and Izzy to sit in the back facing the wall so she was not disturbed by the flash. I told Buck that me and Izzy would run to Walmart and hang out until it was over. I didn't want to take him form his family, he said no we were all staying and they would remedy this or we would all be leaving.

I don't know what he said to his sister but it was resolved. I was whispered about, people kept commenting that I wouldn't let Izzy have any meatloaf or mash potatoes which was mean of me, I explained she is very allergic to milk and egg, but they said it didn't apply to cooked things. Hmmm, who would know better? Masters in Nursing or someone with no medical training? Mother of the child or someone who had just met her?

His parents seemed happy to have us there. I still have moments of feeling bitter

2 comments:

Deb said...

Wow! I am sorry you had to deal with people's ignorance. It sounds like you handled it well and Kudos to your hubby.

art said...

Thanks for the updates. Sorry that the family doesn't understand. My MIL is that way with Nathan. Love the new pics. The birds are beautiful but I can see how they could be scary.

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all"-------Mulan