Christmas Day
Well Christmas was very different this year. Not just the crazy, wide open 2 year old that has taken over the house, just everything. We really thought this was going to be “The best Christmas ever” as Austin put it. With all of the medical worries with Izzy and Buck’s mom it was tense, tiring, and trying.
For those who don’t know, Buck’s mom fell off the second floor balcony a few weeks ago while hanging garland. Just the week before I had invited them over to meet their new granddaughter (they were against the adoption, long story) and it all went well as could be expected with his parents. I am glad they came over when they did because it will be a long time before Martha holds a 2 y.o.
After falling, she was airlifted to Tampa General, in ICU, had a spinal fusion, immobilized in a big brace, has pneumonia and now is in rehab. There is a lot more to the story but I do not have patience for the details right now.
Well Christmas day Buck’s dad was sick and his sister busy, so Buck left us to go sit with his mom. I drove to my brother’s house for Christmas dinner, and he brought food to his mom. I understand that no one should be alone on Christmas, but it added a real damper to our family’s day. Austin was very down until he got to play the wii at my brother’s house, and I was a single parent to chase Izzy at a house with an unsecured pool. My sister, mom, and friend Della helped a lot but I was still exhausted.
The good parts:
Izzy loved to play with tissue paper and boxes
Austin was happy with his presents (11 is a weird age, not a child, not a teen)
Buck cleaned the stove
No seizures!!!!!!!
I am grateful to be together as a family, but feel kind of cheated out of my planned Christmas as a forever family of four. Izzy was super cute walking around with her Dora backpack on. It looked like she was leaving home to runaway. I wouldn’t blame her after all she has been through. I will try to post the video. Ignore the background noise I don’t know how to edit it out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all"-------Mulan




3 comments:
Trish -
That totally stinks that your family got all segmented on Christmas! And what a shame about your MIL...yikes!! Didn't realize decorating for Christmas was a contact sport!!
Love the video of Izzy and the backpack. (Still doesn't seem right to be outside in short sleeves in December...I think the Berters might need to come down there and check that out for ourselves!)
Love ya!
Teresa =)
P.S. No seizures - YEAH!!!
He cleaned the stove?
(Notice how I focus on this out of all that you said...)
Love the backpack! Aren't they so cute when they're wearing a backpack for fun and not weighed down by 50 lbs of text books???
You have a right to be a wee bit selfish but as always you let your true generous nature win out. YOU ROCK!
Big New Year's Hugs coming you way!
Trish,
It'll be so much better next year. It's really too soon to have wonderful, settled holidays with a brand new toddler in the house, especially when you're just figuring out medical issues.
Remember, you've got a whole lifetime of Christmases with your wonderful family ahead of you!
Hugs, Billie, Joe, Anna and Will
Post a Comment