Out Numbered 3 to 1

I thought a daughter would be an ally, instead I am now outnumbeed 3 to 1.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

You Have Come A Long Way Baby!




The other day I pulled out Isabella's referral pictures. It seems like a lifetime ago that we got the call and this was the first glimpse of our daughter. We were so happy until the pediatrician we contacted gave us the "dooms day" prognosis. She told us that Isabella would not ever be able to learn, had a massive stroke, and probably had horrible hydrocephalus. I cried and cried. I couldn't believe it. She seemed to have such a spark in her eyes. Then we contacted Dr. Ochs. He told us he just could not believe the prognosis especially looking at her progress on her medical reports. He said yes she could have had a stoke, massive, not likely, and that China would not keep hydrocephalus or other major impairment a secret from us, intentionally.

We just knew she was our daughter, accepted the referral, and a few short weeks later received updated pictures of her, walking! Her arm was fine, she was making progress. The "febrile seizures" concerned us, as they seemed to be so much more than a simple febrile seizure, but we would deal with that once home. She had only had 2 both times with a fever. Now we know she was predisposed to bigger seizures whether the DTaP triggered it or if she would have developed them on her own, who knows. I am happy she had the first big one here and not in China where she may have died.

1 comment:

art said...

Trish,

I love the pictures! Izzy is adorable and looks great in her little ballet outfit.

Adreanna

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all"-------Mulan