We are facing a horrible thing. Our dog, companion, family member, friend is old. He is in pain and forgets himself much of the time. he has gotten very aggressive with taking food. He has growled and bared his teeth at us. He even blocked our way to Izzy one night when she was crying trying to protect her from us. He is the best dog I have ever known. He is my son's best friend. When I had multiple surgeries after a car accident, he was by my side 24/7.
The vet says it is the right thing to do. That we don't want our memory of him to be of one of us getting hurt. We have denied that it was not a treatable problem and had him worked up for a variety of illness that could be treated. All the test are negative.
My heart is heavy. I know I want to be there when he leaves us, but I don't think i can hold it together. Austin wants to be there as well. Our favorite tech at the office has told me she can't be there when we do this, yet she is who I would want there. How do we do this?




2 comments:
There's no good answer here. My cousins just lost their long loved dog. I look to mine and think "that last trip to Florida was so hard on her." I know that the time comes...will come..does come...but like you I am of two minds: I want to be there and I don't. How selfish. But how true. I'll be crying with you. You won't be alone.
Trish - this is one of the hardest decisions you'll ever have to make. I would do this for you if I could - let me know if you want to bring him up to New Hampshire. I'll send you an e-mail with some ideas, but know I'm thinking of you.
- Billie
Post a Comment